Raised in a Manner Consistent with the PCAS Standards
The following explains the applicability of the PCAS Standards to eligible Vendor Bred catte.
Lifetime Traceable (LT) Status
- Cattle were born on the supplier’s property and any PIC movement has been recorded.
Never been fed cereal grain or separated grain products or by-products
- Cattle have never been fed separate cereal grain or grain by-products
- All supplementary feed given to cattle must be consistent with the Eligible Diet or identified as an approved supplement
Never been confined for the purposes of intensive feeding for production
- Cattle can be confided for husbandry and management activities, such as weighing, drafting, marking, weaning and treatment, but the time in confinement must not exceed 20 days per calendar year.
- Time spent in confinement for transportation purposes, including transport and consolidating for sale, must not exceed 7 days for each journey
Have never been treated with HGPs
- The cattle have never been treated with HGPs.
Have never been treated with antibiotics
- The cattle have never been treated with antibiotics.
- Feedstuffs containing antibiotics, such as monensin, are banned.
- The use of anthelmintics for the treatment of parasites is acceptable.
- The use of topical antibiotics, external treatment, is allowed.
- The use of vaccines is allowed in any form.